Finlay Carson MSP

Galloway and West Dumfries

COVID-19 (CORONAVIRUS)- Information for Individuals and Employees






If you are worried you might lose your job, please read the following information:

  • For the first time in history, the UK government is going to step in and help pay people’s wages – paying grants to support as many jobs as necessary. 
  • Grants will be paid to any employers who retain their staff. Any employer in the country – large, small, charitable or for profit – who promises to retain their staff, will be able to apply for a grant from HMRC to cover most of the wages of people who are not working but are kept on payroll, rather than being laid off.
  • Grants will cover 80 per cent of the salary of retained workers up to a total of £2,500 a month – which is above the average income. The cost of wages will be backdated to 1 March and will be open initially for at least three months – and the UK Government will extend the scheme for longer if necessary.
  • There will be no limit on the number or total value of grants paid out.
  • HMRC are working day and night to get the scheme up and running, and we expect the first grants to be paid within weeks.
  • If you are worried about being laid off, please make your employer aware of this information as soon as possible.

If you think you are entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), please read the following information:

  • You can get £94.25 per week Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if you’re too ill to work. It’s paid by your employer for up to 28 weeks.


  • If you are self-isolating because of COVID-19, you can now claim SSP. This includes individuals who are caring for people self-isolating in the same household and therefore have been advised to do a household quarantine. To check your sick pay entitlement, you should talk to your employer, and visit for more information.
  • How soon does SSP apply? The UK Government is legislating for SSP to be paid from day 1, rather than day 4, of your absence from work if you are absent from work due to sickness or need to self-isolate caused by COVID-19. Once the legislation has been passed, this will apply retrospectively from 13 March. You should talk to your employer if you are eligible for SSP and need to claim.
  • Do I need a sick note? The UK Government have said that those who have COVID-19 or are advised to self-isolate will be able to obtain an ‘isolation note’ by visiting NHS 111 online and completing an online form, rather than visiting a doctor. For COVID-19 cases this replaces the usual need to provide a ‘fit note’ after seven days of sickness absence. We are seeking urgent clarification from the Scottish Government on which website patients in Scotland should access. Isolation notes will be accepted by Jobcentre Plus as evidence of your inability to attend.

If you are self-employed or not eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), please read the following information:


  • If you are self-employed and receiving Universal Credit, the Minimum Income Floor has been suspended for 12 months. This means self-employed people can now access, in full, Universal Credit at a rate that is equivalent to Statutory Sick Pay for employees. If self-employed claimants’ work, and therefore earnings, have significantly reduced due to the impact of COVID-19 guidance on self-isolation and social distancing, and the wider economic impacts of the outbreak, their Universal Credit award will increase to reflect their lower earnings.
  • For example, a single, self-employed cleaner whose work reduces from 37 to 10 hours a week at the National Living Wage will see the full impact of that 27-hour reduction – and lost earnings – reflected in their next month’s Universal Credit award.
  • The UK Government have also deferred income tax self-assessment payments. Income tax self-assessment payments for July will be deferred until the end of January 2021.
  • If you need to claim Universal Credit but have COVID-19 or are self-isolating, you will now be able to claim and to access advance payments upfront without needing to attend a Jobcentre Plus. Please visit for more information.
  • If you are eligible for new style Employment and Support Allowance, it will now be payable from day 1 of sickness, rather than day 8, if you have COVID-19 or are advised to self-isolate.
  • The UK Government have increased Universal Credit and Working Tax Credit by £1,000 a year - strengthening the safety net for those who need it. The Universal Credit standard allowance will increase by £86.67 per month (equivalent to £20 per week), on top of the planned annual uprating. Together these measures are estimated to benefit over 4 million of our most vulnerable households.

If you think you may need financial support from your local council, please read the following information:

  • The Scottish Government have indicated their intention to establish a £70 million ‘Food Fund’ to support households who may be worried about accessing food whether due to an income drop or self-isolation, including older people. We are awaiting details of how this will be accessible through local councils and charities.

If you are experiencing financial difficulties meeting your mortgage repayments, please read the following information:

  • The UK Government has agreed with mortgage lenders that they will offer ‘repayment holidays’ of 3 months to households in financial difficulty due to COVID-19.
  • This will also apply to landlords whose tenants are experiencing financial difficulties because of COVID-19.
  • The offer of a payment holiday can be made available to customers who are up to date with payments and not already in arrears.
  • Customers who are concerned about their current financial situation should contact their lender at the earliest possible opportunity to discuss if this is a suitable option for them.

If you are experiencing financial difficulties paying your rent, please read the following information:

  • A new law will ensure you do not face the threat of eviction for at least 6 months. New legislation will protect renters from being evicted if they fall into rent arrears as a result of coronavirus. This will extend the minimum period of arrears required to evict from three months in a row to six months in a row.
  • The UK Government have announced that from this April, all new and existing private renters claiming Universal Credit and Housing Benefit will benefit from additional housing support. All Local Housing Allowance rates will be uplifted - worth an extra £14 a week on average for existing claimants and any additional Universal Credit claimants who rent in the private sector.
  • If you are experiencing issues paying your rent, please tell your landlord as soon as you can. We need landlords to help their tenants immediately as part of an overall society response. We cannot have people being made or at risk of being made homeless at this difficult time.

If you are experiencing financial difficulties paying your energy bill, please read the following information:

  • Customers who are unable to top up their meter or can’t afford to pay their bills should get support from their supplier. You are advised to contact your energy supplier immediately to discuss how you can be kept on supply.
  • If you are a pre-payment or pay as you go customer who cannot leave your home, your provider should help you stay supplied. This could mean someone else can be sent to top up your card, a pre-loaded gas or electricity card is sent in the post, or funds are added to your credit.
  • Disconnection of credit meters will be completely suspended. If you are in financial distress, you may also be able to have your debts or bill payments reassessed, paused or reduced where needed.

If you are experiencing difficulties paying back personal loans or credit card bills, please read the following information:

  • The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) have called on lenders to use flexibility built into their rules to support consumers, taking into account customers’ individual circumstances. Many major lenders have already made statements to this effect.


  • If you are experiencing difficulties paying back loans or credit card bills because of COVID-19, you should talk to your lender.
  • If you agree a payment holiday with your lender, they should record these in such a way that will not impact on your credit score.

If you require further financial support, please read the following information:



If you are an older person in need of support, please read the following information:

  • Age Scotland have a free, confidential helpline which provides information, friendship and advice on 0800 12 44 222. It should be available Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm.